The chokeberry, with fruits like berries, has a sour, pungent taste.
It is resistant to frost and winter, so it survives in temperatures as low as -47 degrees Celsius, which is why it is called Siberian blueberry.
Because of its resilience, today the chokeberry is grown in colder countries such as Finland, Sweden and Russia.
It originated in North America, and then came to Europe.
North American natives used the chokeberry as food and medicine.
In Europe, it was primarily noted for the beauty of the flower.
In many parts of the world, this fruit is classified as a medicinal herbbecause of its medicinal properties.
After the explosion at Chernobyl, was used to mitigate the effects of radiation.
According to the ORAC and TEAC standards, chokeberry has the highest antioxidant activity of all the berry fruits and nuts.
The healing effect of chokeberry
– Chokeberry is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, trace minerals, folic acid and vitamins B, C and E.
Because of the high proportion of antioxidants and vitamins C and E, chokeberry has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
– Itis rich in antioxidant anthocyanin, which boosts the immune system, reduces the risk of cancer and slows aging.
– It acts beneficially on the stomach. It stimulates the thyroid gland, and is especially recommended for people with hypothyroidism.
– It prevents cardiovascular diseases. This fruit lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol and stimulate the production of good cholesterol.
-It stimulates the liver, helps with gallstones and inflammation of the gallbladder.
– It has beneficial effects on our digestive system – soothes spasms and pain in the gut, reducing inflammation of the lining of the intestines and stops diarrhea.
-It is useful for inflammation of the urinary tract.
This fruit can be found in many products for weight loss because it helps to maintain an ideal weight.
Research of some Russian scientists showed that chokeberry enhances excretion of heavy metals and some radioactive substances from the body.
The benefits of chokeberry:
– It is an excellent source of antioxidants
– Prevents heart disease and blood vessels
– Regulates blood pressure
– Protects the health of the urinary system
– Has anti-inflammatory properties
– Stimulates the thyroid
– Improves memory and concentration
– Regulates blood sugar levels
– Boosts immunity
– It is beneficial to the digestive system
– Protects against viruses and bacteria
– Promotes the excretion of heavy metals from the body